Genetics PDF Print E-mail
Health Care Providers - The Child with Sickle Cell Disease

genetics1

Sickle Cell Anemia

Sickle Cell Anemia (SS) is an inherited blood disorder (autosomal recessive). Approximately one in 400 black babies are born with Sickle Cell Anemia, and about one in Ii have Sickle Cell Trait (AS).

The two hemoglobin types inherited will determine the shape of the red blood cell (RBC). When both parents have Sickle Cell Trait, there is a l-in-4 chance (25 percent) the baby will have normal hemoglobin (AA), a 50 percent chance the baby will have Sickle Cell Trait (AS), and a l-in-4 chance (25 percent) the baby will have Sickle Cell Anemia (SS). These chances remain the same with each pregnancy.

 

Sickle Hemoglobin C Disease

 

genetics2

 

 

Sickle Hemoglobin C (SC Disease) is a milder form of Sickle Cell Disease. The baby has inherited two (2) abnormal hemoglobins, hemoglobin S and hemoglobin C. Approximately one in l,000 black babies are born with SC Disease. Hemoglobin C Trail (AC) occurs in about one 1n 40 black babies. If one parent has AS and the other AC, there is a 1-in-4 chance (25 percent) the baby will inherit AA, AS, AC, or SC Disease.

 

‘AS and AC are carrier states, not disease conditions.

 

Sickle Beta Zero Thalassemia

genetics3

Sickle Beta Zero Thalassemia (ST0) is clinically similar to Sickle Cell Anemia. STO occurs in approximately one in 10,000 black babies. STO is treated the same as Sickle Cell Anemia.

When one parent has Sickle Trait (AS) and the other parent has Beta Thalassemia Zero Trait (AT) there is a l-in-4 chance the baby will have normal hemoglobin (AA), Beta Thalasseinia Zero Trait (AT, Sickle Beta Zero Thalassemia (STO), or Sickle Trait (AS). These chances remain the same for each pregnancy.

 

Sickle Beta Plus Thalassemia

Sickle Beta Plus Thalassemia (ST+) is the mildest form of Sickle Cell Disease. ST-I- occurs in approximately one in 4,000 black babies,

When one parent has Sickle Trait (AS) and the other parent has Beta Thalassemia Plus Trait (AT+), them is a l-in-4 chance (25 percent) the baby will have normal hemoglobin (AA), Sickle Trait (AS), Beta Thalassemia Plus Trait (AT+), or Sickle Beta Plus Thalassemia (ST +). These chances remain the same for each pregnancy.

Hemoglobin C Disease

 

genetics4

 

Hemoglobin C Disease, a condition found mostly in the black population (approximately one in 6,000), consists of a minor abnormality of the hemoglobin. When both parents have C Trait (AC), there is a 1-in-4 chance (25 percent) that the baby will have normal hemoglobin (AA) or Hemoglobin C Disease (CC), and a 50 percent chance the baby will have Hemoglobin C Trait (AC). These chances remain the same for each pregnancy.

 

Origin and Distribution of Sickle Cell Disease, Genetics, Sickle Red Blood Cells, Infections ,Splenic Sequestration, Pain, Chest Syndrome, Aplastic Crisis, Strokes, Gall Stones and Jaundice, Growth and Development, Retinopathy, Priapism

Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 June 2010 14:51
 
Joomla SEO powered by JoomSEF